Monday, January 28, 2008

Benediction and Cake

Last night I had the opportunity to do something I've wanted to do for a long time - assist at a Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. Benediction is a service in which a large host is placed in a monstrance and the priest blesses the congregation with the host housed in the monstrance. Typically you only see this in Roman Catholic Churches or Anglo-Catholic Churches. There is a lot of incense and other things you don't see every day (humeral veil, monstrance, etc.). This Benediction was on the Silver Jubilee of The Very Reverend William Willougby's ordination to the priesthood.

If it is proper to say that solemn liturgies are fun - this was fun. The vestments felt old and kneeling over a thurible of incense induced an ethereal mood. I was quite nervous putting the host in the monstrance and was constantly worried I would fall down the steps of the altar while holding Fr. William's cope (he doesn't move slowly). But, alas, all was well - no one fell, the monstrance was in its place, we prayed, sang, celebrated, and afterward - we ate cake.

Bishop Shipps, the VIII Bishop of Georgia participated as did the Monsignor of the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Savannah. I met a Greek Orthodox Priest and the mayor of Savannah was present. Quite ecumenical. Cake will do that.



1 comment:

King of Peace said...

Sounds like an aweFULL service. Not just some awe, but full of awe. I wish I could have been there. I'm glad you and the others were to celebrate Fr. WW III's ministry among us and in the wider church.

peace,
Frank+